Wednesday, February 16, 2011

S Is for Salmon

As someone that grew up in the Pacific Northwest, I was never a huge fan of salmon probably because it was always there and we ate a lot of it. I would have rather had Macaroni and Cheese. I didn't like picking the bones out and while I was growing up, I just wasn't a huge fan of fish in general. As I've aged (and we won't talk about how aged, but like a nice cheese or a great bottle of wine, I think I'm getting better), I've come to appreciate fish more fully.

Last summer, I had a fantastic barbecued salmon at my mother's wake. Just after my mother passed away but before the memorial and wake, a friend of my sister's called telling her they had fresh caught salmon and would sell it to us for a reasonable price for each fish, cleaned and de-headed. (I personally have never gotten over the idea of eating food that looks back at me so appreciated that a great deal.) Kris (my sister, who throws a great wake, I hope she throws one for me if I go first), put them on the barbecue with the following very simple recipe she got from her fish monger:


Barbecue Salmon

1 salmon fillet

1/4 c olive oil

2/3 c brown sugar

3 cloves minced garlic

1/4 c butter

Juice of 1 lemon

Salt and Pepper



Two hours before cooking salmon, brush with olive oil, press minced garlic into fish, and sprinkle with brown sugar and salt and pepper. Refrigerate until cooking time. During cooking time, baste with additional olive oil and melted butter and lemon juice.

We made it without the butter and just the olive oil and not quite as much brown sugar. It was SO simple and yummy. My mom would have loved it. We had a rice salad and some artisan bread from this local bakery with it. It was a really simple meal at a time when we didn't have the emotional bandwidth to fuss with anything complicated.


Dessert was PIE. My mom loved pie. Her birthday is just after mine and she always wanted pie instead of cake. When we celebrated together, we always had pie instead (which when I was younger disappointed me, but now I prefer it unless we are talking German Chocolate Cake.) Making good pie crust is a topic for a post all its' own, but lets just say that lard really does make a fantastic crust and in the absence of lard, unsalted butter is wonderful.
When I was younger, my mother would bake pies almost every weekend. Mostly apple or cherry. She would mark the top of the pie with an "A" or a "C". As these were her initials, I thought she was just marking the fact that she made the pies. When I left home and started making my own pies, I would mark them with a "J" or a "C". My mom asked me once what the "J" was for, I told her "JoAnn" just like she used to mark her pies for "Ann" and "Culbertson". She snorted and told me that "A" and "C" was for apple and cherry. So, needless to say, I marked the Peach/Blueberry pies at the wake with an "A" and "C" for mom.
 


Photo Courtesy of Sunset Magazine
I'm working on expanding my fish horizons these days. On Thursday, I made Salmon Patties with some canned salmon I had hanging around my pantry. I substituted Panko for the cracker crumbs and used celery, red pepper and onion for the veggies. The main thing is to be sure you mince the vegetables up consistently so they cook through but still maintain the crunch. The snap of the veggies with the salmon was really nice. Totally yummy and easy to make. A great quick weeknight dinner. Add some sauteed greens and a maybe some rice with garlic and herbs cooked in broth. Fast, easy and not too hard on the calorie count.

During the 14 years I lived in Colorado I didn't eat a lot of seafood as I felt too far away from the ocean for it to be good.  I recently moved to the Chicago area.  I haven't figured out what fish is local to the Great Lakes region yet, but am asking questions and researching. I'm looking forward to the nicer weather so I can use the barbecue and not smell up the house cooking fish.


Share those recipes and stories - fish, pie and stories. Look forward to reading them all! 


I'm linking up to Jenny Matlocks Alphabe Thursday.  Check it out and join the party! 

17 comments:

  1. I love your story and all the salmon. I loved the pie letters too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Now I'm craving a salmon dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love salmon! Living in the desert, I don't see many swimming around here:) I'll try the wake one though..wake salmon..hahaha. BTW, I lived in Grand Rapids MI years ago. My hub and son always went to the river and caught them as they spawned, swimming up the fish ladder. Not Pacific Northwest, but they were pretty good...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salmon is one of the few types of fish I'll actually eat. I thought this line was priceless: "Kris (my sister, who throws a great wake, I hope she throws one for me if I go first) . . ."

    What a fun pie story too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed the story about your family. Salmon is about the only fish I ever eat. But, I'll take cake or pie any day or rather any time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing stories about your family...and the salmon recipe sounds very nice. We have a freezer full from our trip to Valdez,on Prince William Sound last Fall...never thought I would say "we need another meal soon...it's been a week!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is quite a pie story! My mom also made the best pies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was one of the best wakes I've ever attended! The food was perfection, the day was amazing, and the company was the best ever.
    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have grilled salmon fillets twice a week. If the weather is bad outside, I pan broil them inside in little olive oil. First I put lemon pepper on the fillets, and after searing both sides, I throw in some balsamic vinegar and cover the pan,reducing the heat of course. Wonderful flavor, and a quick dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! So glad you stopped by my site ... because I've found you, now! Welcome to Illinois ... I'm a new follower ... and love this salmon recipe! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I go to the PNW I really enjoy salmon, but here in the Philippines my favorite fish is steamed grouper (with head, thank you). I try to eat local foods as much as possible. Reading your recipe makes me want to go to the deli and get some salmon, though. YUM! And it sounds like my kind of wake. Savory S post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry about your moms passing and that does look like a delicious recipe for salmon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I lost my Mom last year....I miss her so much!

    The salmon looks lovely, I'm always looking for a new way to fix it...

    ReplyDelete
  14. west coast girl here .... grew up eating all of that salmon as well ... and i love it now! when i was a kid ... not so much! Your recipe sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How long did you grill the salmon for? I am known for burning things on the grill.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the way you wove the recipes into these stories. The A C made me smile.

    What a wonderful tradition you can carry on with your own pies.

    I'm sorry about your Mom but smiling at so much of this superb link to Alphabe-Thursday's letter "S".

    Thank you for linking.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  17. peace and love to your and your family, sorry for the loss of your mom.

    Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete

Share your comments, recipes, patterns and anything else you want. Thanks!