Thursday, February 10, 2011

R is for Radishes and Recipes




I generally don't eat a lot of radishes, not because I don't like them but because it's hard to get through a whole bunch when you live by yourself and are cutting them up one at a time for a salad.

I started a low-carb diet at the new year so am looking for ways to get more veggies in my diet that don't have too many carbs, but are more varied than some steamed or sauted beans or greens. I did some research and found several recipes that are appealing, the number one item being Sauteed Radishes. I would never have thought to cook them, but after reading the rave reviews for this recipe, I don't think I can resist. I think I will take the same path that one reviewer did and add some kale and onions.

As for recipes, my favorite place for finding new ones lately is http://www.food.com/. I love their recipe sifter and have had generally good luck finding great recipes on this site. One of the things I learned early on with recipe sites is to read the reviews and use the experiences that other people have shared. I think I usually end up with better results then I would otherwise.




I also use the recipes I find on sites like http://www.food.com/ as jumping off places. When I taste something at a restaurant and want to duplicate it, I start here for ideas and then tweak to fit my memory of the dish. One of those turned into one of my very favorite soup dishes. When one of my step-daughters was visitin me in Colorado, we went on a tour of the Celestial Seasonings plant and ate in the on-site cafeteria. They had a pumpkin black bean soup that was to die for.

I found this recipe online and with some minor tweaks came up with a soup that I love and make at least once or twice a month during the winter months. The other thing that is a new standard is this pecan pie recipe. It came out of a need to make one for a Thanksgiving dinner I was attending, but didn't have any corn syrup on hand so was fortunate enough to find this version that doesn't call for syrup but instead uses brown sugar and butter. It's by far and away the best pecan pie I've ever had. (Take the advice of the reviewers and bake it a bit longer and cut down on the butter/margerine. I used unsalted butter for this and it was perfect. Also, didn't chop the pecans and like the texture of it better with the halves.)

For parties, I will usually search out menus that other people have posted and use them as a planning tool. For my birthday in 2010, I made a good part of this Morrocan Menu by user FrenchTart. The beef tagine was wonderful. The chicken tagine wasn't as good as I had hoped, but think I will try it again with Chicken Thighs instead of breasts. The breasts dried out some with the cooking and I think the thighs would stand up to the longer cooking time better. The carrot salad was refreshing and I now prefer it to the favorite of my childhood, carrot and raisin salad. We had fresh made pita (courtesy of my pastry chef daughter) and German Chocolate Cake (which is my favorite).

Other favorite recipe sites are epicurious.com and Cooking Light Magazines website. I also get the magazine as a gift subscription every year from my sister. I find at least one or two recipes in every issue that I absolutely love. I have several recipes that have become standards over the years that originally came from Cooking Light.

What sites are you using to find great recipes? Any radish recipes you can send my way? Share and share-alike I always say, especially when it comes to recipes. Bon appetit!

(This post is part of Jenny Matlock's Alphabe Thursdays. Enjoy!)

15 comments:

  1. My son loves radishes, and he cooks them in olive oil, leaves and all.

    I was surprised how good they taste that way!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, JoAnn, for getting your craft and food blog launched! For all you commenters who come after me, you will want to subscribe to JoAnn's blog! She is the most amazing cook I know! And she can cater and throw a party like nobody's business! And she knits and stamps, and is an all around amazing gal :)
    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who'd a thunk it? I've got to give this a try. I roast parsnip and carrot sticks with olive oil and Creole seasoning and I add turnips and rutabaegas to pot roast. I wonder how radishes would taste roasted. Hmmm, food for thought (pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Taste of Home sits. I have never thought about cooking radishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hubby loves radishes and eats them like chips so I put a bowl of them in ice water on the table when we eat lunch. They make me burp. Cute post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Radishes..that is one food I've never developed a taste for! I love to look at recipes but my hubby is the cook around here--and for that I'm thankful, cause he's much better at it than me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm...I never have thought to cook radishes either. I also have to be careful with carbs...will try that! Gonna have to try the pecan pie to as Hunky Hubby loves him some peeeecan pie!!! Happy AlphabeThursday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for all of the wonderful comments (and Amanda - you are making me blush!) Hope you enjoy the blog as it evolves! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am definitely going to saute some radishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love radishes! What a great idea to saute them! We always have them sliced on our plate of extras when we make tacos. And with a little butter....yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always enjoyed radishes and they're amazingly easy to grow in CO. (I know that no longer applies to you, but perhaps your CO readers...) They are hardy at cooler than normal temperatures and there aren't a lot of radish diseases around like tomatoes seem to find. I've never ever had them anything but raw, so I'm excited to try that. I love Food Network for recipes (their magazine is worth every penny) as well as America's Test Kitchen. Beware thought that ATK does have a sign up fee of $35, that is also totally worth it. They've tried a recipe literally hundreds of times to find the best version. I've had amazing results because of that. And to second what Amanda said, she throws a great party!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never tried radishes this way, but I will definitely give it a try this spring when I have thousands of them from the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hate cutting radishes. hahaha. I may have to try this...def should share it with my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am thankful to Jenny and her Alphabe Thursday because the letter "R" led me to your site! My hubby is a HUGE fan of the radish I not so much...but you can bet that I am gonna try that pecan pie recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am always a fan of ethnic food blogs, too. Like you I enjoy doing 'theme' meals I often go for months cooking one ethnicity - cuban, thai, etc. and do it full on for every meal...I call it immersion cooking...mostly my husband calls it good!

    Right now we have a Turkish house guest for a month or so and I am doing a bit of turkish immersion cooking. I know I've landed it when he says "this tastes exactly like my Mothers!"

    Love your post here today.

    Welcome to Alphabe-Thursday.

    I look forward to seeing more neat posts on your blog.

    A+

    ReplyDelete

Share your comments, recipes, patterns and anything else you want. Thanks!